Monday, September 20, 2010

Pumpkin Harvest Cookies (Kerstin's Sweet Spicy Goodness)

Recipe status: These are the ultimate health nut harvest cookie. There is no sugar other than the natural sugar in the pumpkin (and the sugar from the morsels). It's almost like having one of those nature bars, or a very chewy granola bar. I will definitely be packing these on my hikes.

1 small can pumpkin
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
(or 1/2 tsp each nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger & allspice)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup flour
1 cup combination of any of the following: Chopped pecans, walnuts or cashews, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, golden raisins, craisins or raisins *
1 cup butterscotch or cinnamon morsels, carob or chocolate chips

Blend pumpkin and butter. Mix in egg & vanilla. Add dry ingredients until completely blended. Fold in remaining nuts, berries & morsels.

Drop by spoonfuls on a baking sheet about an inch apart. These hardly spread, so press them down a bit. Bake @ 375° for 12-15 minutes, depending on size. I've been told these freeze well. Not sure of these will last long enough to find out.


*In addition to the 1 cup, I also added a cup of uncooked 9 grain cereal (looks like oats) & a handful of shredded zucchini because I so desired. Had I had any flaked coconut left, I'd have added that also. Not the sweetened coconut, but the dried shaved coconut from the bulk bin at the health food store. That would have been amazing.

2 comments:

cinnamongirl said...

Wow. Totally embarrassed, I forgot to list the one cup of sugar, or 3/4 cup honey.. Glad to know they taste great without it! ;0)

Donna said...

No worries. But next time I think I will put in some honey. I'll skip the sugar though. :)