Monday, September 20, 2010

12-Grain Bread

Recipe Status: The first time I had this bread, it was the most amazing thing I had ever tasted. Now either I've since made better bread, or it didn't turn out as well as it could have. Or, I just plain wasn't feeling good and it didn't agree with me. Also, since making amazing bread without dough enhancer and extra gluten, I don't see the necessity for either of them. But I'm not knocking the recipe, I'll try again. Perhaps I'll be more impressed next time.

The original recipe made a lot of dough, so I've cut it in half. However, if you have a Bosch, it'll handle the full recipe, so knock yourself out if you so choose.
The altered recipe makes 3 loaves.

3 cups hot water
1 cup 9-grain cracked cereal, uncooked
1/4 cup millet
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (cracked if desired)
1 cup high gluten flour or vital gluten
1/3 honey or molasses
1/3 cup oil
1 tbsp salt
1 heaping tbsp yeast
1 1/2 tbsp dough enhancer
6-7 cups whole wheat flour

Measure first 5 ingredients into bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Add honey, oil, salt & 5 cups flour and mix to a paste. Stir in yeast and remaining flour, a bit at a time, until mixture cleans sides of the bowl. Knead for 5-7 minutes. Add dough enhancer and knead until mixed through. Form into 3 loaves. Let rise in greased loaf pans until about 2 inches above pan. Bake @ 350° for 30 minutes.


No comments: