Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Broccoli Chicken Pitas

Hi, it's Lori-ann. I haven't contributed to this blog at all, but that's going to change. We're working on writing down all of our recipes and I figured as I make them, I might as well take a picture and post it on the blog! I normally cook very healthy and alter recipes to make them as such. So here we go!!!

Recipe: Broccoli Chicken Pitas



Combine:
Cubed, cut chicken breasts
Steamed broccoli
Fresh or 1 can mushrooms (I steamed the mushrooms with the broccoli, placing them on top so they didn't get too squishy)
Alfredo sauce from a packet or homemade white sauce (slightly coated)

Serve in a pita pocket. To make it even healthier, try it in a whole wheat pita. I couldn't find any for this meal, so the picture is not of a whole wheat pita.

Homemade white/Alfredo sauce:
2 Tbs real butter (normally I tend to not use this much butter)
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1\4 tsp salt
dash black pepper
1 1/2 cups milk (sometimes I do half of the milk skim milk and the other half 2%)
minced garlic
grated Parmesan and mozzarella cheese

Melt butter in pan with about 1 tsp or so of freshly minced garlic. Add flour,salt, and pepper making a roux so it mixes evenly. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until it's thick and bubbly. Add a few pinches of both kinds of cheese.

You can also make the sauce without the garlic or cheese. That is just a plain white sauce.

If you use this sauce sparingly, then you will have leftovers for other meals. Freeze it or plan other meals that use the same sauce. It goes great on thin crust Chicken and Tomato pizza and Chicken Enchiladas.

No comments: