Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sweet & Sour Chicken

Recipe status: Flavor is delicious! The way it was made was a little odd, but it is a keeper.
Song: Decode - Paramore

Chicken:
4-5 chicken breasts, but into bite sized pieces
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
Vegetable oil

Mix cornstarch & flour together. Dip chicken in the beaten eggs, then in the flour mixture. Fry in hot oil until crispy. Drain on paper towels, then place chicken in a 9x13 baking dish. Once all the chicken is fried, make the sauce.

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 green pepper, diced
1 can pineapple chunks, drained

Blend all of the sauce ingredients together in a sauce pan, and cook until it's all blended. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for about 40 min @ 350. Serve over cooked rice.

Okay. The flavor was delicious, and even Nolan, who does not normally like sweet & sour, ate it without complaints. (He just picked the pineapple chunks out.) What I found odd was that I baked it in the sauce. I'm used to cooking the sauce until it's thick and bubbly (with some cornstarch in the sauce itself), then adding the fried chicken. But this way, the sauce did thicken a bit, but was still quite runny. Which was actually beneficial, as it was able to really mix in with the rice, and give the rice a good flavor. I also liked that the sauce wasn't gelatinous, like any sauce you'd buy from a jar.

Changes:
I didn't have ketchup, so I used tomato paste instead. I think I'd prefer that.
I only put in a half of a green pepper, and it was perfect.
Also, next time I make it, I think I'll use a can of crushed pineapple, so that the sauce may be a bit thicker, but it will also be harder for my picky eaters to pick it out. ;)

No comments: