Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

Recipe status: Okay, nothing to die for. Kids liked it though.
Song: Vanishing Star - Frozen Plasma

Okay, this is SERIOUSLY how the recipe appears IN THE BOOK!

4 to 6 pieces chicken breasts
4 to 6 pieces swiss cheese
4 to 6 pieces thin ham slices
1 can cream of chicken soup (finally a definite portion!)
2/3 cup milk
1/2 package stuffing
1/2 stick butter

Mix soup and milk in bowl with whisk, set aside. Put ham pieces in 9x13 pan. Top with chicken pieces. Top with swiss cheese slices. (Oh so now it's slices?) Pour soup mixture over all. Combine stuffing with butter. Sprinkle over top. Bake @ 300 for 90 minutes.

Okay, 4 to 6 pieces? Are we talking 4 to 6 WHOLE "pieces" of chicken breasts, or 4 to 6 bite sized pieces? Cheese? 4 to 6 pieces of shredded cheese? 4 to 6 1 inch cube pieces? Apparently it is 4 to 6 slice pieces. Come on. This is ridiculous. So I assumed portions considering these 4 to 6 pieces were to fill a 9x13 pan.

Here's what I put in: 
- 3 whole chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes. It was enough to cover the bottom of the pan, although I think it could have used one more chicken breast.
- 1/2 pound of sliced ham, cut into little squares. I arranged those over the chicken. I was afraid that I used too much ham because it far surpassed the 4 to 6 pieces, but I was wrong. It definitely needed more ham.
- 1/2 pound grated swiss cheese. This amount was perfect.

The rest of the ingredients worked just fine, but I will advise you to MELT the butter first, or else you'll have a heck of a time trying to combine cold butter with brittle bread crumbs. Also, I don't see any reason why you can't up the temp to 350 and shorten the baking time.

(Shaking head) I don't know HOW that recipe even got approved for publishing.

No comments: