Monday, November 3, 2008

Not your average run of the mill zucchini bread. Trust me. :)

Recipe Status: Amazing wheat flavor without the oranges, perfect with the oranges.
Song: Solarity - Lori Cunningham

2 cups flour
1 cup wheat flour (sometimes I do half and half.)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup oil
3 cups grated zucchini
peel of one orange, washed & minced.

This recipe is delicious even without the orange peel, but is even better with. :)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter two 9-inch loaf pans and dust with flour or sugar. Mix all the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs, then blend in the oil. Use a spatula to mix the egg mixture into the dry ingredients in several additions, then fold in the zucchini and the orange peel. (It will be thick, you may need to use your hands). Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top springs back when pressed lightly with a finger. The bread may cool in the pans for 5 to 15 minutes before being turned out onto a rack or plate. Makes two 9-inch loaves.

*Wanna make this into muffins? Go for it! It'll make 24, bake for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Elisa said...

How funny! I made this recipe just yesterday! I do love this recipe. I'm a broke college student and never buy oranges, although, if I planned ahead, I'm sure I could. I just don't think to get them. Anyways. Point being, I don't add oranges when I make this recipe.
Yesterday when I baked this bread, I had two other things in the oven before my zucchini bread got in. Therefore, a lot of the volume from the baking soda and powder had been lost. But other than that, it was still pretty good. I ate quite a bit of the batter straight out of the bowl. :)